Blending of Culture and Science
A UH Innovation Virtual Conference
November 15, 16 and 17, 2021
Both culture and science have sought to answer the questions about who we are, where do we come from and where we are going. However, as science became more technologically advanced, the role and significance of culture experiences in this quest of has diminished—often at the expense of losing precious indigenous knowledge and scientific innovations.
Recognizing that creating a balance between culture and science is essential to a sustainable future in Hawai‘i and around the world, the University of Hawai‘i (UH) is hosting this timely three-day conference that will bring together a wide range of subject matter experts to discuss the path forward.
Session 1: Connecting Hawaiian Indigenous Culture with Modern Astronomy
Monday, November 15, 2021; 8:00 to 9:45 a.m.
Session 2: Conservation of Our Ahupua‘a
Tuesday, November 16, 2021; 8:00 to 9:30 a.m.
Session 3: Innovating to Impact Hawai‘i and the World
Wednesday, November 17, 2021; 8:00 to 9:45 a.m.
*Speakers, content, dates and times are subject to change
Limited to the first 1,000 registrants
*Registration is for all three sessions
UH Office of Indigenous Innovation
ʻImiloa Astronomy Center, UH Hilo
Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani
College of Hawaiian Language
Partner, University Relations
Osage University Partners
Institute for Astronomy
- Rosie Alegado, Assoc. Professor of Oceanography and the Sea Grant College Program, UH Mānoa
- Steve Auerbach, Int. Director, UH Office of Innovation and Commercialization
- Olga Boric-Lubecke, Professor of Electrical Engineering, UH Mānoa/Co-Founder and President, Adnoviv, LLC
- Bruce Torres Fischer, Student, Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani College of Hawaiian Language, UH Hilo
- Kanoe Kanakaʻole, Education Specialist, Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani College of Hawaiian Language, UH Hilo
- Kapua Kawelo, Natural Resource Manager, U.S. Army Garrison, Hawaiʻi
- Kelekolio Kuamoʻo, Student, UH Hilo
- Heidi Kuehnle, Founder, Kuehnle Agrosystems, Inc.
- David Lassner, President, University of Hawaiʻi
- Keoni Lee, Chief Executive Officer, Hawaiʻi Investment Ready
- Christopher Sabine, Int. Director, Hawaiʻi Institute of Marine Biology, UH Mānoa
- Melissa Price, Asst. Professor, Natural Resources and Environmental Management, UH Mānoa
- Alan Tokunaga, Astronomer Emeritus, UH Mānoa/Former Director, NASA Infrared Telescope Facility
- Mehana Vaughn, Assoc. Professor, Natural Resources and Environmental Management and Sea Grant College Program, UH Mānoa
- Cindy Wu, Co-Founder, Jelly/Founder, Experiment
- Sharon Ziegler-Chong, Director, Research and Community Partnerships/Director, Hawaiʻi-Pacific Island Cooperative Ecosystems Studies Unit, UH Hilo
Emcee: Moanikeʻala Nabarro, UH Office of Communications