The Office of Innovation and Commercialization (OIC) is responsible for the management of intellectual property and technology assets developed at all 10 campuses within the University of Hawai‘i System and the transfer and translation of new technology to broader public use. The Office of Technology Transfer (OTT) and UH Ventures are housed within OIC.
OIC also has oversight of the innovation and entrepreneurial (iE) programs across the UH System, including:
- UH Ventures Accelerator
- Pacific Asian Center for Entrepreneurship (PACE)
- iLab, the innovation playground at the center of UH Manoa campus
- Manoa Innovation Center (MIC) incubator
Office of Technology Transfer
The Office of Technology Transfer, a major component of OIC, assists faculty, staff and student researchers to identify and protect their discoveries and inventions, and to foster commercial investment that will turn University of Hawai‘i research into new products and services to improve public health and welfare. By seeking to create closer relationships with entrepreneurs, businesses and investors, OTT works to increase opportunities for the development and utilization of new technologies created through research and scholarship.
What we do
- Work with University researchers to understand their research discoveries and innovations
- Perform technology and marketing assessments
- Intellectual property management, including patent protection
- Devise licensing and commercialization strategies
- Develop corporate collaborations and partnerships
- Implement, educate and provide counsel on intellectual property policies and practices