UH offers various programs and resources to encourage and support innovation and entrepreneurship at all campuses.
- Ideation Studio@UH innovation incubator offers concierge services, guidance and support to help advance UH-affiliated, deep-tech, high-impact innovations over a 12-24 month period.
Connect UH faculty, researchers and students with industry, community and government organizations. Companies and organizations can submit a challenge or join a multidisciplinary student team to develop creative solutions to solving real-world issues.
- Innovation Impact Challenge helps industry, community and government partners identify and solve real-world problems with the support of UH researchers, faculty and students.
- Hacking for Defense (H4D) by NSIN utilizes networks of defense, academic and entrepreneurial innovators to generate new solutions to national security problems.
- Hacking 4 Oceans (H4O) by Commission Mission Project brings interdisciplinary students together to apply entrepreneurial approaches to rapidly understand, solve, and deploy solutions to urgent problems facing our oceans and coasts in partnership with local, state, federal agencies, and NGOs.
- HTDC Small Business Innovation Research Program and OIC have partnered to engage next-gen entrepreneurs and startups in SBIR/STTR funding opportunities to enhance the productivity, technological performance and viability of a company, and strengthen Hawai‘i’s manufacturing industry.
- (K)new Futures connects community members to explore cultural practices, radically re-engineer the design thinking process, and create (k)new solutions to local challenges, in partnership with Purple Ma‘ia Foundation and UH Office of Indigenous Innovation and Office of Sustainability.
- Local Entrepreneurship Initiative (LEI) provides education and guidance to support local, small businesses with creating and growing their consumer goods and services companies.
- Pacific Asian Center for Entrepreneurship (PACE) offers mentorship, training and resources to all UH students and faculty, designed to encourage entrepreneurial thinking across disciplines and inspire entrepreneurs to move their ideas from conceptualization to commercialization.
- ASCEND Hub provides seminars, advising, referrals to resources and mentoring to aid in the translation of promising biomedical innovations from academia to the market.
- MIND Hawaiʻi brings together students and faculty from various fields to develop solutions to challenging medical problems through education, mentorship and networking opportunities.
Agriculture & Food
- Culinary Innovation Center at Kapi‘olani Community College supports local agriculture, aid in local food sustainability, and enables local businesses to thrive in Hawaiʻi’s economy by providing technical expertise and resources in food product development.
- GoFarm Hawaiʻi offers programs to enhance Hawaiʻi’s food security and economy by increasing the number of sustainable, local agricultural producers by providing a combination of knowledge, experience, and support.
- Maui Food Innovation Center is a unique first in-state incubator fostering agribusiness and foodpreneurs x-celeration and education by providing technological expertise, innovative training, consultation, a manufacturing facility, and a resource hub for new and established food entrepreneur’s endeavoring to bring their products to market locally, regionally and nationally.
- The Academy of Creative Media (ACM) System is a system-wide media school that engages and leverages existing resources and faculty assets across UH campuses to develop 21st century jobs in the global creative marketplace through cinema, video game, computer animation and transmedia to the broadest possible audience.
- Innovation Center at Kauaʻi Community College collaborates with the community to engage students with faculty-led multi-discipline projects creating viable and sustainable solutions for the greater good.
Hawaiʻi’s innovation ecosystem offers additional programs and resources for innovators and entrepreneurs.
- Blue Startups
- Elemental Excelerator
- Food Innovation Center@Common Ground Kauaʻi
- Mana Up
- Pacific Gateway Culinary Business Incubator
- Purple Prize
- Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) / Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR)
- NSF Innovation Corps (I-Corps™)