University of Hawai‘i
Research Compliance

Researcher Responsibilities

Faculty investigators and instructors, students, and research support staff are required to comply by securing a biosafety assessment to determine whether an IBC registration approval is required to commence with any new research project or instructional activity. IBC registration approval pertains to, but is not necessary limited to the use of recombinant or synthetic nucleic acid molecules, biological materials (human and animal blood, body fluids, tissue, etc.) vertebrate animal, human, and plant pathogens, and imported live biological materials.

Continuance of ongoing research studies or instructional activities that involve the usage of aforementioned biological materials are required to be renewed in full by the IBC no later than the anniversary date of the third year of the ongoing research project or instructional activity.

Changes or amendments to a registration are required to be approved before the modifications commence. Significant changes or amendments require the review and assessment of the full committee before modifications are permitted to occur. Minor changes or amendments may only require the review and assessment of the IBC Chairman or designee.

Contact the Biosafety Program Office with questions to whether IBC review and assessments are necessary for any new, continuing, or amended research study or instructional activity.

Failure to comply may result in the premature closure or immediate suspension of the project or activity, and the notification of granting agency and with the possibility of forfeiture of extramural support.

Please keep in mind, to import microorganisms into the State of Hawai‘i requires written authorization from the Office of Research Compliance. Permits and letters of authorization from State of Hawaii government offices (e.g., Hawai‘i Department of Agriculture) and from federal agencies (e.g., CDC, USDA/APHIS, DOC) are required and is dependent on the origin and proposed use of the interested biological commodity. More information can be found on the Get a Permit page.