University of Hawai‘i
Research Compliance

Modifying a Protocol

Circumstances for submitting modification request include:

  • Change in research site
  • Change in PI
  • Change to the approved protocol
  • Revisions to study documents (i.e. Informed consent, recruiting flyers, survey instruments, etc).
  • Adding research materials

Guidance on completing the Modification Form can be found in SOP 115.3.

Modification Application Forms

Exempt research predating eProtocol

For research approved as exempt and predating eProtocol, no modification form is needed. Submit your request of changes via email to, referencing your CHS number in the subject line.

If you are unsure of what form to use, contact the Human Studies Program Office.