The following items should be considered in the preparation and review of proposals. The checklist will help to expedite review of proposals within the UH, avoid delays in rewriting and revising proposals, and facilitate planning for the initiation of the proposed project.
1. General Considerations
- Are the correct forms being used?
- Are the proper institutional identification numbers, applicant name, and address being used?
- Does the proposal conform to page and font size limitations imposed by the sponsor?
- Does the proposal include all necessary attachments (e.g., biographical sketches, certifications and assurances to be completed by ORS, etc.)?
- Has the myGRANT proposal development record been properly completed and routed through the myGRANT system for approval internally by the UH? If more than one department or college is involved, has the myGRANT proposal development record been reviewed and routed through the myGRANT system for approval by all parties?
- Does the budget add up?
- Are costs that are normally recovered through the F&A rate, such as administrative and clerical staff, office supplies, postage, and telephone costs explicitly budgeted and justified in the proposal budget?
- Is overload compensation (excess compensation to be paid during the faculty member’s on-duty period) for consultation across departmental lines, in addition to faculty member’s normal workload and explicitly budgeted?
- Does the budget conform to any limitations imposed by the sponsor (e.g., salary caps, prohibitions on the purchase of equipment, etc.)?
Are the proper fringe and F&A rates being used?
Have you reviewed UH Policies & Agreements for related memos and Cost Sharing?
3. External Collaborators
- If other institutions are participating in the proposal, have appropriate approvals from the participating institutions been obtained?
- Is the role of each institution clearly stated in the proposal to avoid misunderstanding and potential disputes?
4. Cost Sharing
- Have cost sharing commitments been endorsed by the appropriate UH official?
- Have third party commitment letters been obtained, if applicable?
5. Space, Funding and Risk Considerations
- Have requirements for space or specialized facilities (e.g., secure facilities) been brought to the attention of the Department Chair, Dean or Director and arrangements been made to accommodate the proposed project?
- Other than for cost sharing, have requirements for commitment of institutional funds been brought to the attention of the Department Chair, Dean or Director and sources of funding committed to the proposed project?
- Have proper precautions been taken to mitigate risks or potential risks of the proposed project?
6. Research Compliance Considerations
- If the project involves use of human or animal subjects, have provisions been made for review by the appropriate UH review boards?
- If the proposed project involves SCUBA diving, radioactive isotopes, recombinant DNA, or other hazardous material, has the Environmental Health & Safety Office been consulted?
- If the project involves the use of export-controlled technology, have provisions been made to secure the necessary licenses?
If the project involves classified or proprietary research, has the UH Facility Security Officer been consulted?